Friday, October 15, 2010

How it all started

I met Chris online some good 8 years ago. And when I did, I truly thought we would be just friends - and that was all we were ever going to be. Then a few weeks after we started being 'just friends', I caught myself wanting to go home just to talk to him. I didn't want to be away from the computer, I didn't want to see anyone else and I sure enough started thinking 'he better not want to be JUST my friend.'


At that time, the computer was not enough. We'd spend hours on the phone, driving my mom mad. My brother started getting curious - and jealous. And as crazy as it still sounds, I asked him out.
I'm not sure what I was thinking. The guy was in Minnesota, right? I was in Brazil. Ok. You don't need a whole lot of math or logic or sense to figure this one out. Maybe it was a joke, maybe I liked him that much and didn't know what to do about it, so I just asked him out... Oh yeah, it does still sound crazy...

Fast forward two months and the guy came to Brazil to see me (!). I know, pretty brave of him, huh? For all he knew, I could've been a 40yo geek dude, hairy and sweaty.

And things didn't always go so smooth. They even started out confusing and too intense. There was a lot of pressure to like and accept - instantaneously - a somewhat stranger who came from far, far away. Took me a few days and, most of all, some major wardrobe adjustments for Chris (the gringo), once Recife's fashion is NOTHING like Minnesota's (as the weather dictates.) But after these changes and some more moments of talking and recognizing, I figured he was just plain awesome. I've loved him ever since.

And now we've been living together, married, constantly making plans (while God laughs about them) and just busy, being happy. This internet thing is not for everybody. But most certainly it worked out for us. And I'm so glad it did.


Chris & I celebrating our 2nd year Anniversary

No comments:

Post a Comment